Geant4-DNA Capabilities

Hi All,

I am new to the Geant4 community and before diving deeper in the code and it’s practicalities, I would like to have an idea of its capabilities. Especially, I am interested to make simulations similar to the “chem” examples series (chem1-5), which focuses on water radiolysis and the determination of G-values (primary yields) from 1 ps to 1 us. I can read in the documents that Geant4-DNA works with liquid water and I was wondering if we could modify this “material” to add 1 mmol/L of NaNO3, for example, so we have a homogeneous mixture of materials made of two (or more) compounds. Generally, how flexible is the setup of a material in Geant4-DNA?

The other question I have is about the particle. Is it possible in Geant4-DNA to output the G-values from an electron (<1 MeV), gamma-ray (1.1 MeV Co-60) or alpha particle (~4-5 MeV)?

Many thanks for any information you can provide,
Michel.

Hi All,

Some follow up on my original questions. I just found which types and energies of particles can be used: http://geant4-dna.in2p3.fr/styled-3/styled-8/index.html

I guess that in order to have another material in addition to water, one would need to get information on how particles interact with this material, for example, cross sections, radiolytic products possible and diffusion coefficients of each created species.

Please can you let me know which type of information/parameters I need to gather to treat particle/“new material” interactions? where I can find them in the Geant4 distribution for water and how can we add/modify to the existing ones?

Many thanks,
Michel.