Geant4 exampleB1 fails using SSH

I have installed Geant4 on a linux workstation. The workstation uses ubuntu 16.04 (corporate requirement). I have installed clhep-2.4.1.3 and xerces-c-3.2.3 in /usr/local, and Geant4 is installed in /opt/geant4.10.06.p02. Build options (using cmake-gui) included:

• GEANT4_USE_QT
  • GEANT4_USE_OPENGL_X11
  • GEANT4_USE_RAYTRACER_X11
  • GEANT4_USE_GDML
  • BUILD_SHARED_LIBS
  • BUILD_STATIC_LIBS

Geant4 builds and apparently works when run from a KDE desktop terminal (just starting with building and running exampleB1). However, it has two different behaviors when I SSH in (with Xwindow forwarding) to the same at-work machine.)

1. SLOW LAPTOP, SSH GATEWAY. I connect to the linux workstation from a slow linux laptop (ubuntu 16.04, without local clhep and xerces) through a company ssh gateway. When I run exampleB1, the GUI eventually displays but the view pane remains blank. The Output, Session, and Help-tab seem to work, but, of course, the Scene tree tab remains empty. I’ve let it remain for over an hour, and nothing ever happens. Typing “exit” in the Session box exits the program. The behavior is the same with either X11 forwarding (-X flag) or trusted X11 forwarding (-Y flag). The output (before exit):

Available UI session types: [ Qt, GAG, tcsh, csh ]
G4WT1 > /control/saveHistory
G4WT0 > /control/saveHistory
G4WT1 > /run/verbose 2
G4WT0 > /run/verbose 2
G4WT1 > /run/initialize
G4WT0 > /run/initialize
G4WT1 > /run/physicsModified
G4WT0 > /run/physicsModified

After exit, it appears to shutdown normally.

1. WINDOWS LAPTOP, VPN, MOBAXTERM. I also have a faster Windows laptop which can connect to our company’s network via a VPN. Thence I use the MobaXTerm application in Windows with an SSH session connects to the linux workstation. When exampleB1 is run, it begins alright. The GUI displays, but with the View pane empty and the other panes (Session, Help-tab) non-responsive. After a couple dozen seconds or so, the program crashes and the GUI disappears. The output (stdout and strerr):

Available UI session types: [ Qt, GAG, tcsh, csh ]
    G4WT1 > /control/saveHistory
    G4WT0 > /control/saveHistory
    G4WT0 > /run/verbose 2
    G4WT1 > /run/verbose 2
    G4WT0 > /run/initialize
    G4WT1 > /run/initialize
    G4WT0 > /run/physicsModified
    G4WT1 > /run/physicsModified
    Vertex shader for simpleShaderProg (MainVertexShader & PositionOnlyVertexShader) failed to compile
    Fragment shader for simpleShaderProg (MainFragmentShader & ShockingPinkSrcFragmentShader) failed to compile
    QGLShaderProgram: shader programs are not supported
    Errors linking simple shader:
    Vertex shader for blitShaderProg (MainWithTexCoordsVertexShader & UntransformedPositionVertexShader) failed to compile
    Fragment shader for blitShaderProg (MainFragmentShader & ImageSrcFragmentShader) failed to compile
    QGLShaderProgram: shader programs are not supported
    Errors linking blit shader:
    Warning: “” failed to compile!
    exampleB1: Fatal IO error 22 (Invalid argument) on X server localhost:11.0.

Since I’m having to do much more work nowadays remotely, fixing either response would be beneficial. Fixing both would be even better. Any suggestions?