Inelastic (anti-)deuteron -- nucleus cross-sections

Dear Geant4 experts,

I have a question regarding the calculation of total inelastic cross-sections of (anti-)deuterons on nuclei. In principle, inelastic cross-section for (anti-)deuterons should be a sum of several processes such as annihilation, break-up or inelastic nuclear scattering etc. By looking at Geant4 code/documentation, i see that only total inelastic cross-section is computed for (anti-)deuterons using Glauber-Gribov calculations as implemented in:

deuteron–nucleus:
G4ComponentGGNuclNuclXsc::ComputeCrossSections()
anti-deuteron–nucleus:
G4ComponentAntiNuclNuclearXS::GetInelasticElementCrossSection()

Is it possible to get the cross-sections mentioned above in Geant4 separately? Are there any models on the market which can describe these processes separately at kinetic energies of (anti-)deuteron of 100 - 5000 MeV? Thanks a lot in advance.

Best regards,
Ivan

1 Like

Hello,

for today inside Geant4 we have Elastic and Inelastic cross sections available from classes you mention. The inelastic cross section include all possible interactions. You need to apply a filter for secondary particles in order to extract a probability of reaction channel and to compute partial cross section.

VI

Hi,

I have been looking for the deuteron_inelastic interaction of deuterons with lithium, but I haven’t been able to find any of the cross section files…
Could you point me to the correct place to look?

Kind regards,

Koen

Hello,

there is no cross section files for this cross section, only analytical formulas.

VI

Hi VI,

Thank you, could you point me at these analytical formulas?

Thanks!

Koen

Hello,

I am a bit confused with your recent comment: you have interest to deuteron cross section or anti_deuteron? According to the title it seems to be anti_deuteron. In that case, the class is G4AntiNuclElastic.cc

VI

Hi,

Sorry for the confusion, this is not my original post, but I thought it matched quite well with my question.

I have an interest in the deuteron_inelastic interaction cross section data.
What formulas are used for this calculation and where can I find these?

Cheers, Koen

Hello,

I am very interested to know how Geant4 calculates the probability of the different reaction channels given it is only provided with the total inelastic cross sections.

Thanks
Nima

Hi, did you get each reaction channel? I also want to know how to get them one by one especially in inelastic process and now I don’t understand how to filter the process. Your help will be much appreciated if you can provide some examples.

Has anyone solved the problem?