Help setting a constant seed or generating constant particle values

Hi Everyone,

I would like to set my simulation up such that the seed is always the same. I need to test the results from 2 detector configurations in detail (number for number) and so would like the generated particles to be identical even after re-compiling.

Is there a way to do this? I tried to set the seed so a specific value in the main but this didn’t work.

Thanks!

Have a look if this thread helps.

Hi Anna,

Thanks for the reply! I tried to use your solution from the thread you suggest and I have a problem linking filesystem. Because of my gcc version I used the boost library but see the following linker error :

CMakeFiles/task.dir/src/PrimaryGeneratorAction.cc.o: In function PrimaryGeneratorAction::GeneratePrimaries(G4Event*)': PrimaryGeneratorAction.cc:(.text+0x99): undefined reference to boost::system::system_category()’
PrimaryGeneratorAction.cc:(.text+0x14e): undefined reference to boost::filesystem::detail::status(boost::filesystem::path const&, boost::system::error_code*)' CMakeFiles/task.dir/src/PrimaryGeneratorAction.cc.o: In function _GLOBAL__sub_I__ZN22PrimaryGeneratorActionC2Ev’:
PrimaryGeneratorAction.cc:(.text.startup+0x13a): undefined reference to boost::system::generic_category()' PrimaryGeneratorAction.cc:(.text.startup+0x146): undefined reference to boost::system::generic_category()’
PrimaryGeneratorAction.cc:(.text.startup+0x152): undefined reference to `boost::system::system_category()’
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [task] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/task.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

Code :

#include <boost/filesystem.hpp>

void PrimaryGeneratorAction::GeneratePrimaries(G4Event* anEvent)
{
// Task 2a.2: Include the position randomization
boost::system::error_code ec;
std::string fileName = “random/event_”+std::to_string(anEvent->GetEventID())+".rndm.stat";
if (boost::filesystem::exists(fileName, ec)) {
CLHEP::HepRandom::getTheEngine()->restoreStatus (fileName.c_str());
} else {
CLHEP::HepRandom::getTheEngine()->saveStatus (fileName.c_str());
}

Do you have any ideas how to fix this easily?

Did you link boost libraries to your project?
But if you use boost only for that reason, there is no need, one can check otherwise if file exists, I believe this should work:

std::ifstream file(fileName.c_str());
 if(file.fail()) <save> else <restore>

Yeah, of course. I think I have been staring at this so long that my mind has gone blank to anything else :smiley: Anyway your solution worked for me, thanks a lot!