Applying standard and DNA physics constructors together to the volumes with different materials

Hello everyone

In the new Geant4 release (11.1), the ability to use both the electromagnetic ‘standard’ and ‘DNA’ physics constructors has been added for different energy limits (as included in the PhysicsList.cc file of the extended example “dnaphysics”).

Is the same currently possible for volumes or regions made of different materials?

For example, I want to calculate energy deposition in a simple spherical cell model (with a concentric cell nucleus) for the case where a nanosphere is attached to its cytoplasm. The cell and its nucleus (micron-sized) are made of unit-density liquid water, but the nanosphere is filled with gold or silicon. As the G4EmDNAPhysics (and its options) are only valid for liquid water medium, applying another suitable physics constructor to the nanosphere volume is necessary.

So, my question is:
Can I use a combination of electromagnetic physics constructors, for example, G4EmDNAPhysics_option2 for liquid water (cell and its nucleus) and G4EmStandardPhysics_option4 or G4EmLivermorePhysics for gold or silicon (nanosphere)? and how?

Any help is appreciated,
Best regards.

Hi,

yes, it is possible. Please, look at the Geant4 dna extended examples. In addition, there are “Geant4-DNA” track structure physics models for gold and silicon (look at AuNP extended example).

Cheers
Susanna

1 Like