Calculating the dose of a X-ray tube

_Geant4 Version:_v11.1.1
_Operating System:_Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS
_Compiler/Version:_gcc 11.4.0
_CMake Version:_3.22.1

Hello everyone!

I am trying to simulate the “absorbed dose” (measured in Gy) given by a X-ray tube at a particular distance. Should I also simulate the detector I use in the real life case and score the energy deposition per unit mass inside it?

How would you do it?

1 Like

It depends on what your objective is. If you want the true absorbed dose at a given distance in your target, you need the energy deposited in the target per unit target mass. If you want the dose at a given distance in your detector, you need the energy deposited in the detector per unit detector mass. Both are needed if you are trying to calibrate the detector to read dose-in-target.

1 Like

Yes.
The actual task is to simulate the spectrum of the X-ray tube. But, in my lab, we don’t have the apparatus needed for spectroscopy, so I thought to verify my spectrum by simulating the absorbed dose.

I have good experience with the application of Geant4 in X-ray tube simulation. If you have any questions related to this topic (Spectrum, physics, …), Welcome

1 Like

Ok, I will send you messages if I have further difficulties.

Thank you :smiley:

So, I have a question. What physics list do you recommend me to use for simulating the X-ray spectrum?

you can use

G4EmStandardPhysics_option4

1 Like

Are the photons produces by electrons automatically transported or i have to activate their transportation?