Docker image for Geant4?

Hello,

I’m looking for a docker image with Geant4 and Root to sidestep having to install it myself. Is there an official or unofficial G4 docker image that is maintained ?

1 Like

There is no official docker image with ROOT and Geant4. I recommend you to try using ROOT and Geant4 from CVMFS if you don’t want to install them yourself. What operating system are you running? I can help you find the easiest path to getting both working on your system.

Hi, thanks for the response! Unfortunately we don’t have cvfms on our cluster. The OS is “CentOS Linux 7 (Core)”. The aim is to do large simulation on the batch system.

Hello @amadio ,

To make life easier I’m now using a cluster that has access to CVMFS and I do:
source /cvmfs/sft.cern.ch/lcg/contrib/gcc/6.3.0/x86_64-slc6/setup.sh
source /cvmfs/geant4.cern.ch/geant4/10.6/x86_64-slc6-gcc63-optdeb-MT/CMake-setup.sh
source /cvmfs/geant4.cern.ch/geant4/10.6/x86_64-slc6-gcc63-optdeb-MT/share/Geant4-10.6.0/geant4make/geant4make.sh
source /cvmfs/geant4.cern.ch/geant4/10.6/x86_64-slc6-gcc63-optdeb-MT/bin/geant4.sh

After this when I do make it compiles on lxplus but on my cluster it gives the error
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lXm

collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status

The OS are the same on lxplus and my cluster (centOS 7) but I notice than when running make on lxplus it prints:
Using global libraries …

which is probably indicative of the issue. Could you advise me on how to get it running on my cluster from cvmfs?

Some software installed in CVMFS depends on having HEP_OSlibs (linuxsupport / rpms / HEP_OSlibs) installed on the nodes, or a view from LCG enabled (from /cvmfs/sft.cern.ch/lcg/views/). If you use an LCG release from these views, it should already contain Geant4 after the initial setup.

I also have an installation of Geant4 and ROOT in CVMFS which you can use after running (not sourcing):

$ /cvmfs/sft.cern.ch/lcg/contrib/gentoo/linux/x86_64/startprefix

This is a stack updated nightly, so not it’s not great for running long production jobs, but should still be usable in many cases.