Drift chamber in geant

Hey, I’m in the process of making a set of drift chambers to simulate the detection of cosmic muons. So far, so good. I declared made the general geometry of a chamber and filled them with argon gas. Each chamber has a set of various wires which I just declare and are filled with argon gas. Now, when a muon passes through a chamber, I want to know which wire turns on like a real chamber.

I’ve been thinking in this problem quite a while and I cannot get a real practical way, nor I know how to set it up on geant.

Do you have any ideas? Or know of an example that can point me in the right direction?

Geant4 doesn’t do the kind of detailed electron drift and avalanche that happens in a real drift chamber. For that you would need a separate simulation, such as Garfield.

I guess you’re building single-wire drift tubes, rather than an open-cell tracking chamber. If so, you can assign a sensitive detector to each of your tubes, and have it record both the position and the direction vector of each energy deposit in the tube. From that, you can get the radial distance of the hit position from the wire (center of the tube), the z-position, and the local trajectory.

Ohh, thank you so much for your answer. I’ll check that up.