Gamma interaction with electron leads to half energy loss

Hi All,

I am currently attempting to simulate a O(keV) gamma interacting with a scintillator, YAP (density = 5.37 g/cm3, Y 54%, Al 17%, O 29%). I find that the secondary electron which is produced takes on only rough half of the energy of the gamma, and deposits the other half.
I have tried changing the defaultCutValue, from 1mm, to 1cm and also 1*nm, with no drastic change. I am using the ConstructEMLivermore process for the interaction.
Please let me know if y’all need any other information to understand what is happening. Thanks.

Hello,

you may want fully enable atomic de-excitation module to see all transitions: “/process/em/deexcitationIgnoreCuts true” on top Option4 EM physics. With this command you do not need defining extremely low cuts.

VI

Hi VI,

Thanks for your suggestion I will implement this and let you know if it fixes the issue. Also, it has come to my attention that there is a possibility that Geant4’s photoelectric effect may also have something to do with what I am observing. Do you think it is possible that in some cases I am generating photoelectrons from the K shell (17 keV pe) and in others from the L shell (30 keV pe)?