Geant4-v11.1.2 PTL error on macOS Sonoma

Please fill out the following information to help in answering your question, and also see tips for posting code snippets. If you don’t provide this information it will take more time to help with your problem!

_Geant4 Version:_11.1.2
_Operating System:_macOS Sonoma (Version 14, MacOSX14.0.sdk)
_Compiler/Version:_Apple clang version 15.0.0 (clang-1500.0.40.1)
_CMake Version:_3.27.6
_QMake Version:_3.1 (Using Qt version 5.15.10 in /usr/local/Cellar/qt@5/5.15.10_1/lib)

Hi all,

Based on my experience, almost every macOS huge update makes some small compiler errors, so I was ready to handle this. However, this time is a bit weird for me. I am not sure that the problem below would be from macOS Sonoma or something else.

The “geant4-v11.1.2” source file in my /usr/local/Geant4/source directory was successfully built without any errors during each step, including “ccmake,” “make,” and “make install.” However, upon attempting to execute “exampleB1,” I encountered the following error messages:

I’ve already ruled out permission issues by applying “chmod -R 777” to the directories. Could this problem possibly stem from threads, version mismatches, or PTL file issues?

I believe this to be a minor issue. Would you be able to investigate and provide some insight into resolving it? Your assistance is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Just to confirm, this is an Intel Mac? If so, what chip does it report in “About this Mac”. We have observed something similar in very preliminary Sonoma/Clang 15 tests, so this is a useful test case.

Thank you for your fast response. Yes, this Mac is an intel one.

As a temporary workaround, it looks like this doesn’t affect the classic POSIX threading mode, so running the example as:

$ G4FORCE_RUN_MANAGER_TYPE=MT ./exampleB1 ...

Should allow you to work until we have a full triage and fix in place. That should work with any Geant4 application provided the run manager factory is used to instantiate the G4RunManager, e.g.

auto* runManager = G4RunManagerFactory::CreateRunManager(G4RunManagerType::Default);
1 Like

For tracking and reference on fixes, I’ve created 2564 – EXC_BAD_ACCESS (code=EXC_I386_GPFLT) errors from PTL::ThreadPool on Intel Macs with Clang 15

It’s not totally clear if this is a bug on our side or a compiler/system one, but there are workarounds, and a patch is in testing.

A workaround patch for 11.1 is now posted on Bugzilla 2564. It should be considered a workaround for now, and does require a rebuild of Geant4 after applying it.

The Bugzilla ticket will be kept open until we fully understand if this is a system/compiler problem or a true issue in Geant4.

Thank you so much for your work, and the command “G4FORCE_RUN_MANAGER_TYPE=MT ./exampleB1” works not only for exampleB1 but the others too! I was using my institution’s server computer (CentOS) instead during that time, so sorry for the late response.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.