How to get dE/dx value for different gas pressures?

Recently I was simulating the energy deposition in a gas detector, I used the new G4Material(name, z, a, density, state, temp, pressure) method to create a 48 atm xenon gas as the filling gas for the gas detector, and got the deposition energy through the GetTotalEnergyDeposit() method, I changed the above pressure from 48 to 1 and found that the value of the energy deposition got bigger by about 5%, I would like to know how the gas pressure affects the energy deposition process, and how should I see the value of dE/dx for different gas pressures in geant4?

@Song_Yuanpeng

Changing gas pressure will change in gas density and therefore more will be gas particles in the same volume.
more particles means more interaction chances.

G4Step is a base class and provide method GetTotalEnergyDeposit(), however, to have total energy loss you must integrate all steps of a track in gas medium at the end of event Action.

A keen beginner will look example B1 which covers all details you are looking for.

VRS

1 Like

Thank you drvijayraj. I’ve summed up all the energy deposited by the STEP into the RUN. I agree with you about the greater chance of reaction with a higher gas pressure, I have corrected the gas density using the van der Waals equation, and after I changed the pressure of the gas to a smaller one, the value of the energy deposition became larger instead, which is what I don’t understand.

Dear @Song_Yuanpeng

I too not understanding, however,
please check the materiel definition,
an e.g. is

auto a = 131.29*g/mole;
 G4Element* Xe = new G4Element(name="Xe", symbol="Xe", z=54., a);
 auto density = 5.858*mg/cm3;  
 double pressure = X*bar;  // [X->Your choice]
 double temperature = 296.15*kelvin;  // [your choice]
 G4Material* matXe  = new G4Material("matXe", density, 1, kStateGas, temperature, pressure);
 matXe->AddElement(Xe, 1);  //--> Monoatomic nature

Maybe problem comes from the definition you using in your code while defining the material.
If you change pressure/temperature [without changing density] de/dx will change.

VRS

I repeated your exercise with example TestEm0, definition of Xenon in attachement.

As expected, dE/dx increases with pressure and density.
XenonGas.txt (758 Bytes)
song.mac.txt (314 Bytes)
song.out.txt (5.7 KB)

Thanks for your replies @drvijayraj @maire , I’ll take a closer look at it later if I have time.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.