Level of C++ needed to create a basic or intermediate simulation program with Geant4

What level of C++ do I have to have in order to create a good basic or intermediate simulation program?. If I study C++ during 3 hours a day every week for a month, can I achieve such a goal?

_Geant4 Version:_11.2.1
_Operating System:_Windows 10
_Compiler/Version:_Visual Studio 2022
_CMake Version:_3.29.0-rc2

Hi Alfredo,
I do not know if you know the Julia programming language. If this is the case, there exists the Julia bindings for Geant4 that allows to create simulation applications without C++ (and without CMake). I have recently created a tutorial for it. Geant4.jl-tutorial. It runs on MacOS, Linux and Windows.

Pere

Ok, thank you for your reply. I will keep this in mind. I had never known about a programming language that allow to create simulation programs with Geant4 without using C++ and without using CMake. I think this is something incredible.

Also it has pybind version using python language.
HaarigerHarald/geant4_pybind: Alternative Python bindings for Geant4 (github.com)

I’m afraid this is really a “how long is a piece of string” question (and this goes for learning any programming language or application interface that uses it). Most “basic/beginner” C++ courses will cover all of the areas of the language needed/used for/in Geant4, but the time needed will be completely up to you. All I can say is that programming is a practical subject and hands-on time, experimenting, and, yes, making mistakes, are crucial.

Ok, thanks for the information

Ok, thanks for answering. I think my doubt regarding the time needed to learn C++ has been solved

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.