Modify cross-section during Stepping Action

Dear experts,

I am trying to implement in Geant4 a few electromagnetic processes whose cross-sections depend not only on the energy of the incident particle, but also on the angle between the particle track and a given vector in space. Ideally, I’d modify the G4UserSteppingAction to add:

1. The calculation of such angle (which is eventually stored in a private variable of a Singleton class, or in any other way I can think of).
  2. The update of the cross-section values used for determining what happens to the particle, calling for example G4VEmModel::ComputeCrossSectionPerAtom (where G4VEmModel is derived from a pre-existing model, such as G4BetheHeitlerModel, with only minor modifications in the ComputeCrossSectionPerAtom method).

I know how to do the first point, but not the second, because in my simulations all the calls to ComputeCrossSectionPerAtom occur only in the preparation of the cross-sections tables and never during a G4Event. So my question is: is it possible to modify the values of the cross-sections of a few processes during a G4Step? Which files should I modify, beyond my implementation of the G4VEmModel class?

Thanks,
Pietro

Hello,

please consult Geant4 documentation. First of all Application developer manual. G4UserSteppingAction interface provided for scoring and control on simulation but not for changing/modification/implementation of physics. Results will not be reliable if you do this.

VI