Radiation Production After Incident Heavy Ion Beam Hits Solid Material

Hi,

I would like to ask if there is already a (hopefully simple) method in Geant4 to estimate the intensity and type (particles, gammas, etc.) of radiation emitted after a Heavy ion beam (of say 100 MeV kinetic enrgy) hits a solid block of material (say a Pb cylinder of few cm length and 1 cm diameter). Thanks.

Fabio

You probably want to define scorers in your geometry. Those can be set to count particle types, as well as energy, charge, etc.

Thanks for your answer, I understand what you propose but my question was more: is Geant4 able to treat specifically all the phenomena involved in the (heavy ion beam)-(Pb matter) interaction? I mean, also nuclear reacion cross section and reaction prodoucts, also bremsstrahlung etc. …?

Yes. There are ion-ion processes and models in Geant4. You may need to build your own physics list by choosing the appropriate processes, depending on what details you want. In general, only the G4ParticleHP models are “data driven” (i.e., with tabulations of cross-sections for exclusive or semi-exclusive channels), but those only apply for light ion beams. The ion-ion models are based on nuclear structure models, and the final states are stochastic consequences of the interactions, not tabulated.

You may find the Physics Reference Manual useful.

Thanks this is very useful information for me. Before looking to the details in the manual I need another information: for my application I don’t need very high accuracy so “ion-ion models are based on nuclear structure models, and the final states are stochastic consequences of the interactions, not tabulated” is perfectly ok. Is there already “ready” like this in Geant4? I mean, for example, one “didactic” example of those already contained in the Geant4 distribution? I am asking this because before starting to work on a code I would like to learn some at least basic staff from persons (or manuals) more experienced than me. I am convinced that this application of Geant4 I would like to do it is for sure already used by several other researchers. Would you suggest which is the more proper way to find them? Scientific literature, this forum, else? Thanks.

Geant distributes a large number of working examples with the distribution, in the “examples” directory (sibling of source). These examples are all documented. I think the extended/hadronic/Hadr05 is probably most appropriate for you.