Simulating α particles below 1 keV

Hello everyone,
I am using Geant4 for simulation and I am facing an issue with simulating α particles below 1 keV. I have tried several methods but haven’t made any progress so far.
Here are the steps I have taken:
Setting the cutoff distance: I have tried different cutoff distance values, but I am still unable to simulate α particles below 1 keV.
Using the low-energy model: I have included #include “G4EmLowEPPhysics.hh” to use the low-energy model, but it doesn’t seem to have any effect.
I am using Geant4 version [version number], and I haven’t encountered a similar issue while simulating other particles.
If anyone has any insights or suggestions regarding this issue, please help me resolve it. I would greatly appreciate your assistance!
Thank you!

1 Like

Hi,

sorry, what is the issue?

You may try the builtin physics lists called QGSP_BIC_AllHP, which have a High Precision treatment of light charged particles like alphas.

Dear, you can try Geant4-DNA if it is in water

Thank you for your response. The issue I am facing is that I am unable to simulate α particles below 1 keV using Geant4. I have tried adjusting the cutoff distance and using the low-energy model, but these methods have not been successful in resolving the issue.

I appreciate your suggestion to try using the builtin physics lists called QGSP_BIC_AllHP. These physics lists are specifically designed to provide a High Precision treatment for light charged particles like alphas. I’ve solved it in other ways

Thank you for your assistance. If you have any further suggestions or insights, please let me know.

Hi,

out of curiosity, how did you managed?

I forgot to mention that there are several physics models for the same process, and the default might not be the best one for this case,
https://indico.cern.ch/event/776050/contributions/3240649/attachments/1789263/2918789/EM_standard.pdf#page=22

Best,
Alvaro