Simulation of Cs-137

Dear all,

I want to simulate Cs-137 through the cables lying near Ge-detectors and looking at its energy deposition in Germanium detectors. Basically i’m interested in it’s 662 keV gamma line. I did something like this:

/gun/particle ion
/gun/ion 55 137 0 0
/gun/energy 0 keV

But the problem is that the energy spectrum i got at the end has no 662 keV gamma line at all, although the branching ratio for it quite high (94.7 %).

I got the one at 284 keV but not at 662 keV. I don’t know what is going on. It would be really nice if someone could help me with this.

Thank you!

Here, a macro for example rdecay01, its printout, and the gamma plot.
May I suggest you to run your application for 1 or 2 events, with /tracking/verbose 2, in order to follow what happens to the 662 keV gamma.

Cs137.mac.txt (214 Bytes)
Cs137.out.txt (2.2 KB)

Dear maire!

Thank you very much for your response. I tried like you said. It worked like this. But i am using MaGe simulation framework for my work. I am trying to incident Cs137 from detector holder to detectors and finding its activity of 662 keV gamma line.

In my case, it seems that it’s not producing daughter nucleus properly so i decided to do something like this. I did one simulation using Cs137 at energy 0 keV and ran other simulation using Excited state of Ba-137 with energy of 662 keV so that i can also get 662 keV gamma line . And then i tried to add energy spectrum of both. But in this case Branching ratio i get for 284 keV(5.30%) and 662 keV(94.7%) are not the way it should be. Figure is attached below.

Looking forward to your opinion, if you could hep me here.
Thank you!

For Cs-137 normal decay:

/gun/particle ion
/gun/ion 55 137 0 0

And for Ba-137, Excited state

/gun/particle ion
/gun/ion 56 137 0 661.6

Dear maire!

Do you have an idea why is it not working?

What is MaGe ?
Are you sure that radioactiveDecay is registered ? it is abnormal that Cs137 do not decay …
What do you plot ? energy of what ?
What is the origin of the 284 keV ray ?