STCyclotron root Plot.C syntax error

I have been exploring the STCyclotron advanced example, and I am having problems when running the Plot.C root macro. After running a simulation with /run/beamOn 1, I run root Plot.C and I get the following errors:

$ root Plot.C
   ------------------------------------------------------------------
  | Welcome to ROOT 6.28/04                        https://root.cern |
  | (c) 1995-2022, The ROOT Team; conception: R. Brun, F. Rademakers |
  | Built for win64 on May 08 2023, 02:44:07                         |
  | From tags/v6-28-04@v6-28-04                                      |
  | With MSVC 19.32.31332.0                                          |
  | Try '.help'/'.?', '.demo', '.license', '.credits', '.quit'/'.q'  |
   ------------------------------------------------------------------

Processing Plot.C...
The syntax of the command is incorrect.
ERROR in TPDF::Open: Cannot open file:./Results/BeamData/BeamEnergyInTarget.pdf
Error in <TASImage::WriteImage>: error writing file ./Results/BeamData/BeamIntensityTarget.jpg
ERROR in TPDF::Open: Cannot open file:./Results/BeamData/BeamEnergyOutTarget.pdf
ERROR in TPDF::Open: Cannot open file:./Results/BeamData/BeamEnergyInFoil.pdf

Followed by many more errors. There’s something going wrong that’s causing the error, “The syntax of the command is incorrect” but I’m not sure what is going on.

I suspected it might be an issue with my system. I know that this example was designed for Linux. I am running this example on Windows, simulating Linux commands using Git Bash. This workaround method has worked for me in the past, but there may be something I don’t know. Any ideas of how to get this working on windows? Thank you.

Geant4 Version: 11.1.2
Operating System: Windows 11
Compiler/Version:
CMake Version:

It’s possible that that Plot.C macro from the example was written for an older version of ROOT. You’re using the recent ROOT 6.28, which is excellent. If you can focus on a specific issue within that Plot.C file, you may find it useful to post a question to the ROOT forums, https://root-forum.cern.ch/.

1 Like

@john9francis
I tested on G4 10.7 v and root 6.20.
Without any issue the script generated following graphs.
Some of them are below;

macro used run.mac

VRS

Thank you. I’ll try with root v6.20. Did you try the Plot.C root macro or just the run.mac file?

run.mac is i/p,
plot.C [Script] is for data Analysis.

I figured it out, it only works on linux. For this specific example, the Plot.C macro can’t be run on windows, at least with my root installation. I tried opening up the directory in a docker container running root’s official docker image (FROM rootproject/root) and then running root Plot.C. This method produces the PDF’s as expected.

If anyone can figure out how to run it on windows without using a linux docker container, I would be interested in knowing.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.