What physical processes need to be considered in experiments simulating radiation therapy

Hi
Hello experts, I’m recently using G4 to simulate radiotherapy processes, but as a non-medical graduate student I don’t know what physical processes I should add to my physics list to make the experiment look reasonable.
So here I would like to ask for some help, as a newbie your answers would be very meaningful to me.

1 Like

Dear Jodie,

for brachytherapy I suggest G4EmStandardPhysics_option4. Probably you want to switch the Auger electrons on (in addition to the fluorescence). Remember to activate the radioactive decay if you intend to model the radioactive decay of the brachy sources. Look also at the Geant4 advanced example brachytherapy,

cheers
Susanna

1 Like

I really appreciate your advice, this has helped me a lot, cheers.

Hello here I would like to ask one more question, before you suggested me to use parallel geometry to implant radioactive seeds into DICOM built models, how can I use the macro command /gps/pos/confine to restrict randomly generated gps in parallel geometry built radioactive seeds to the point where they look like they are filled with radioactive drugs. I really appreciate the advice you have given me during this time, every single one of them is very helpful.
Cheers!

1 Like

Dear Jodie,

please look at the GPS macros of the brachy advanced example. There you will find the solution!

cheers
Susanna

ok I will follow your advice, cheers